The Recipe Goes First
- Cut roast into 4 pieces – salt generously. Arrange in instant pot.
- Pour all ingredients over roast in instant pot.
- Secure lid and cook on manual for 60 minutes.
- Let warm for 30 before releasing pressure.
- Remove beef from juices and place in a a bowl. Shred the beef with two forks. Using the sautee function on the instant pot cook down liquid mixture by half. Scoop shredded beef into remaining mixture until ready to serve.
- For crispy pieces cook in skillet (on stove) or in a pan (broiler).
Tacos, burritos, eggs, salad, a piece of white bread – this is what you want to eat.
Things to consider:
- The barbacoa is getting it’s heat from the chipotles in adobo sauce. If you want to make a more mild batch then use one can.
- I didn’t add any measurements to my spices. Why? I use somewhere around 1.5-2 tablespoons of of cumin, .5 tbs of oregano & pepper, but I don’t measure. You’ve got to do what feels right for the piece of beef you’ve got.
- Some people brown the meat before they use a slow cooker/pressure cooker – and if that’s what you want to do – do it.
Don’t have an instant-pot?
Use a slow cooker, like a crock pot. 8-10 hours on low will probably do it.
Don’t have an slow cooker?
Use a dutch oven. 300 degrees farenheit for 4-6 hours sounds about right.
Don’t have a dutch oven?
I’d use a large stock pot on top of the oven. Cube the beef. Low heat. Stir every 30 minutes. I don’t know.. 3 or 4 hours.
Don’t have a large stock pot?
Dig a hole in the ground and …
- 3-5lb beef chuck roast
- 1-2 cans chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1 diced onion white or yellow
- juice from 2 limes.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 can pineapple bits
- 1 can Mexican beer
- white onion
- salsa verde
- salsa roja
- more lime